Thursday, December 07, 2006

The Christmas Factory!

Finally I can write on about the charity activities I am supporting here, I know that this is what you all have been waiting for. So on Dec 6th I was actually working for Santa Claus and I tell you this is really hard work!
As you know we I bought chloths for 56 children of 4 different Hogares Comunitarios. I tell you with all the different ages and sexes, it is not so easy to keep the overview, so Fernando and I were pretty proud that in the end we did have the right sizes and colors for everyone. So the next step after sorting out that we had enough for everyone was to turn these bundles of cloths into nice Christmas gifts. Unfortunately Fernando did not show up for the planned christmas presents wrapping. So I spent 5 hours wrapping christmasgifts! I feld like a christmas robot, well I guess Elve would be the right word...

I think I told you that I was sick on Tuesday… yes don’t eat food from the street, especially deep fried pupusas with repollo (not at all recommendable if you buy it at a stand at the bus station!!) So when I arrived at INEPAS on Wednesday I did not know that Maria Antonieta would not show up until later... actually unfortunately things like this happen a lot and there are many times when I don’t know what to do around here. Well anyways, as the office was closed all I could do was to start to make the gifts.


after one hour ...
after two hours ...

Around 10.30 am Maria showed up and I worked on something else as the plan was to wrap the gifts in the afternoon, and hey do we stick to our plans around here ☺

Well all in all I worked for about 5 hours on these gifts, after 4.5 hours and 40 gifts I got some help from other students and volunteers so at the end we finished with the 56th gift at 6pm.



So all is well and Santa prepared, the only little hiccup I have is that on Friday this week one of the mothers of the hogar comunitario in Llanos de Pinal told us that she has 8 more children than were on our list… so I suppose today Santa’s elve is going out to buy stuff again and not to forget the giftwrapping fun I'll have tonight!
Tomorrow we go out to 2 hogares so everything needs to be ready for our littleones! Stay tuned!

Mtfbwy*

2 Comments:

At 2:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Imagine how many trees you destroyed wrapping all of those regalos. There are monkeys in jungles right now that are having to sit on the ground because there is no place to hang out.

 
At 11:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amorcito, ist ja unglaublich, was du leistest! Ja, das Improvisieren ist wichtig in Guate! Da lernst Du Flexibilität!
Ist sicher manchmal nicht lustig.
Aber dieser Geschenkeberg, der ist beeindruckend und sicher für die Kinder unvergesslich.
Es lohnt sich bestimmt.
Take care, much love from home

 

Post a Comment

<< Home