Friday, March 09, 2007

trip - almost - to Mexico

So one week or more is over, I have swallowed all my antibiotics, feel a bit better and am in the internet again.

I don't know if you know about this, but as a foreigner you are only allowed to stay in Guatemala for 90 days. After 90 days you have to travel to another country (the central american bordercountries to Guate, like Honduras for example, do not count) and stay out of Guate for 72 hours before you can immigrate again. Well this is the theroy, not that anyone really does this....
Well what I like to tell you is that Claudias 90 days were about to expire on March 7th and she had to renew her stamp. As a good friend and because my 90 days will expire end of this month I decided to not let her go allone ;) and so on Wednesday this week at 7 am I was ready for a full day trip to Mexico, standing in front of the Hostal Don Diego, and wondering why I was up this early.
After a refreshing 30 min walk to the minerva bus station we found a bus that was supposed to go to El Carmen. Well it did not say El Carmen on the bus but it said Tecun Uman on the bus and the only thing Claudia and I knew that this is another border town. As there was no other bus we took this one.



After 3 hours we found out that this bus was not going to El Carmen, even though the busdriver asured us 5 times that this was a direct bus to El Carmen. At 11 am they kicked us out and told us that there was a minibus going to El Carmen. But we found out that the bus did not go there, so we had to change again...
Finally at noon we arrived in El Carmen, tired and thirsty. So first thing we did was find a place with a bano and a licuado. There we discussed how we go about to get this stamp without leaving the country for 3 days. Sure we were prepared to stay in Mexico for 1 night but surely not more. So when we finally came to the immigration we did just go to the place where you go to enter Guatemala. We did not leave the country so the guy at the counter did not understand what I wanted. He explained to me that for entering the country I had to leave it first. I played the stupid blond girl and just looked at him with big eyes pretending not to understand. I explained that I would not want to go to Mexico and that Claudia don't have the time to leave Guate... well bla bla bla, a nice smile and some 200 Quetzales and we got our stamp.
We never had to leave Guatemala, so I have not really been to Mexico. I think if I have to do this some other time I will travel to see something else, not just the bus.
At around 5 pm we finally arrived in Xela. What a long day and how tired we were from only sitting in the bus... incredible.
I say: shaken not stirred.
so long
ff

2 Comments:

At 1:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Du machst ja Sachen! Gut, wenn man das erst im Nachhinein erfährt!!!
um Mitternacht in "unbekanntem Gelände"! very risky.Gottlob ist alles gut gegangen!

 
At 8:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

good golly miss haenni u do have the adventures in l.a. did u no that elisabeth visits us in may.so when is it your turn??? k8 has a new car the jetts went 2 vw heaven. frieda is finally gone from our carpark. we love and miss u lots

 

Post a Comment

<< Home