Friday, November 03, 2006

First Steps

Wow, so I am back in Xela!

Where should I begin?
Well I suppose at the beginning. So the busride to Xela was as expected. Nothing special and a bit strenuous as it takes about 4 hours and the bus does not stop... well so if you ever do this be prepared to dehydrate.
The hostal Don Diego, in which I am staying for the moment is actually pretty nice(for any packages of emergency chocolate: Hostal Don Diego 7a Calle 15-20, Quetzaltenango, Guatemala, C.A. 761-6497). My first impression of the room I got was not that positive, as it does not have a window or any cupboard to put my cloths in or actually anything much other than a bed a chair and some shelves, but after seeing the other rooms and rearranging the furniture I was pretty happy. Will post some pictures of it soon, I promise.
When I went shopping on the 31st I ran into Gladis and got myself an invitation for lunch on November 1st, which is a holiday. On dia de los muertos they prepare a special food called Fiambre and I had the great luck to be invited by a Guatemalan family and eat with them. I also went to INEPAS on that day and was welcomed with so much carino, it’s just incredible.
I guess you already know what I did in the evening... yes what a surprise I went to the Fonda del Ché. It was really great to see everyone again.
There were loads of Halloween parties going on in Xela, due to the presence of so many Estadounienses, and I was told by the Fondista that they had some problems later that night with some violent customers, so ojala que no paso mas! (sorry I still have problems finding the special signs with my mac).

Dia de los muertos
I went to the cementary with Fher and Maria from INEPAS and a bunch of estudiantes and you won’t believe it but I was so stupid to forget my camera. Incredible isn’t it? Well there were enough people who took pictures, but I guess I won’t start my career as a professional photographer that quickly now.
Lunch, el Fiambre, was great. I arrived at 1 so extremely on time and was laughed at… la suizia!
The whole “Mundo de Espanol”- family says hello to la BOMBA!!!
In the evening I went to take a Yoga class and I really think of doing this more often, can you imagine that it is just next door to where I live and you pay 10 Quetzales (about 1.5 chf) for the 1.5h class.
Well I hope you see that I am happy and feel quite commoda, I already went shopping for fruit and vegis today and met so many nice people (including two Swedish guys next door who don’t talk but snore incredibly loud) that I feel at home.
I planned not to start work this week but just get back into the Xela mood and for next week I plan to take some more Spanish classes, hopefully with Luis. So I hope that I can write more about the work I will do from next week on.

So in this sense, I hope you feel as happy as I do ☺
Mtfbwy** always

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home